By Sheff Law on June 27, 2013

1336449_bus crash home.jpg

A bus carrying passengers in the Boston area crashed into a residential home yesterday afternoon. The Worcester Regional Transit Authority vehicle caused at least eight riders, including the operator, to be sent to a local hospital. Among the injured were a mother and her three children who suffered minor injuries. The house was so severely damaged that it was raised over seven feet off of its foundation. The passengers were able to exit from the emergency exit at the side of the bus. The home struck by the bus was located at 24 Swanson Street.

Reports indicate that the driver of the bus suffered the gravest injuries, however. The fire department said in a statement that it took over an hour to remove the operator from the wreckage and that "the extrication was very lengthy and complicated." Two large trucks were needed to pull the bus from the house and give medical workers access to the driver. He was taken to UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester. Authorities were unsure of the driver's age. They also did not divulge his name to reporters. Three passengers were taken to taken to St. Vincent Hospital in Worcester for injuries, though their condition was not reported on either.

After initial speculation, the Auburn Fire Chief Stephen M. Coleman, Jr. indicated that the department was unaware of any indication that the driver was under any influence, including drugs or alcohol. He also told reporters at the Boston Globe that the Auburn Police Department was investigating why the bus veered off course. A test of the bus' braking system will be conducted to rule out mechanical failures. The general manager of the Worcester Regional Transit Authority, John Carney, told the Boston Globe that the driver was relatively inexperienced on the job, but had all proper training.

In another interview, the Chief of Police Andrew J. Sluckis, Jr. said that "the accident is under investigation and a test of the vehicle's braking system will be conducted tomorrow." He also indicated that the total number of persons injured in the bus crash had risen to ten, which is higher than the first reports of eight. It is possible that the extra injuries came from residents of the house that was crashed into.

In the aftermath, the house suffered serious damage. Sluckis told reporters that the house has suffered such catastrophic damage that it would likely be torn down. Thomas Mosley, a local resident, noted that he heard "a loud thud" and saw the bus "at an angle not with the road." The Boston Globe confirmed that the house appeared crooked from across the street in the neighborhood. After running across the street to offer help, Mosley saw that almost every person involved was conscious with treatable wounds. "The bus driver was in rough shape," Mosley reported. Late on Tuesday evening, a crew was in the area to hold the house up as the bus was dislodged.